In my seminar class we are learning about the idea of status distinctions, we, as individuals, form judgements about others based on what the society thinks. I can admit literally the second I found out who my roommate was, I rushed to look her up on facebook and scope her out; inspect every picture. In all honestly I did judge her upon first glance, I am the kind of person that gives people the benefit of the doubt and I knew that once I met her in person that was the only way to truly tell. But the minute I got the sacred email reveling that she was from Waban, Massachusetts, I did scream a little, it was more of a bird squak. I thought to myself: Waban!? Waban!? Is that a place or some kind of indian chief, and not to mention the fact that she has pink, orange, and purple hair, what she must be some kind of freak. Ok I sound like the biggest judgmental person ever right now, but I'm not, I swear! It's a normal instinct to have these conceptions, no one else is going to admit it, but its the truth. If someone is going to try to tell you that they didn't judge their freshman roommate before meeting them, even a slight discernment, they are lying through their teeth.
We starting talking on facebook, but that only made me more skeptical of the whole situation. I had hoped that maybe we had similar academic interests. Her interests consisted of science and math and then some more math. I'm an art and history person, I cry every time I hear the the word math being mentioned. After she revealed to me that she spent part of her summer taking a computer science class at Harvard, (for fun), that took me over the edge. Yes I did panic a little, well a lot, but I knew things would be different once I met her, and I stayed positive, because I knew this had nothing to do with anything in the grand scheme of things, these were just tiny details, at least that is what I kept telling myself.
Now, after have lived with her for exactly three months I can honestly say it's worked out almost perfectly. Although our interests and backgrounds differ, her being the only freshman calculus tutor, me being confused about my future and part of the photo club. Her, being from the quaint, cozy town of Waban, me being from the celebrity obsessed, snobby city of LA. Her, with the vibrant rainbow bedsheets, me with the whitewashed towels. Even with all of these contrasts, it all seemed to work out okay. We can laugh about our differences, literally. I giggle to myself as she is trying to decipher some computer code and she laughs as I blog. We both learned to appreciate how different each of us are, it's as if the residential life people thought to themselves: lets take the two most opposite human beings and put them in a room together and see if they get along, almost like real world college edition. Well if that were some kind of scientific experiment, it would prove positive results. Bottom line is that we both share the same awkward personality traits and we can laugh at each other throughout any given day. Okay this looks like an excerpt from a soppy coming of age novel, but there was no other way to describe how happy I am to have such a great roomie for life.
1 comment:
I had a similar situation with my roomie...i had certain expectations of her and she turned out to be completely different than I thought. great post though, i can definitely relate!
Post a Comment