Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Alive on Facebook
I have no idea how this topic came about, but the other night over dinner my friends and I had a conversation about death and facebook. Now in this virtual world that were living in, websites like facebook have such a prominent presence in our lives, including aspects so serious as the idea of death. If a person were to die and they had a facebook, would their facebook live on? Does a facebook help to continue an extension of a person's being? Sadly, last year my friend's sister died at the young age of 20, her facebook still lives on today, people continue to comment on it as if she were alive. People also write poems and send prayers through her facebook, a facebook almost becomes a religious offering, a cry for help. Although creepy, it is equally interesting to see how the internet is slowly taking over our lives, even people that are no longer living.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is so poignant and beautiful. I think it's amazing that people go on leaving tributes in this way.
Post a Comment